Research Blog #7: Frame


The following concepts and theories are what I will be using to make sense of my project and structure my paper:

Anxiety: the overarching theme of my project is the impact of anxiety on students, I want to know why anxiety has become the number 1 complaint among college students and has held this spot for over 6 years. I want to know whether the privatization of higher education is the main contributor to this mental health crisis and whether or not universities are doing enough to combat this issue.

Privatization: This is another important concept for my project because, as we have been discussing in class this semester, the shift of public to private has caused a spike in tuition. I will be looking at whether this spike is correlated to the spike in anxiety.

Student Debt: This is one of the possible reasons for this spike in anxiety among college students that I will be looking at. It is one of the main reasons I will be focusing on because it takes privatization into account, the main reason so many students are in debt are because of the steadily increasing tuitions over the years that is caused by the privatization of higher education. As scene by the results of the "Sick of Our Loans" study which indicated that student loans are associated with poorer psychological functioning.

Academic Pressure: This is another theory for the increase in anxiety, I will be looking at how the pressure to succeed and the high grade expectation can be leading to more stress. That because of the highly competitive economic environment of today, there is an added pressure for students to do well in order for them to be scene as valuable in the job market. I will be using the Beiter et al (2015) study to analyze this theory.

Technology Related Anxiety: This concept looks at how over the generations with the rapid development of technology, current students have become dependent on social technology and that this dependency has made them unequipped to handle the social pressures and responsibilities of college.  I will be using the study "Is Facebook creating "iDisorders"?" to illustrate this concept of how social media may be linked to increased anxiety.


Age of Anxiety: This argument poses the theory that anxiety isn't only an issue for college students but has increased worldwide, and that societal changes have caused people to generally be more prone to anxiety now then they were previously. I will further develop this argument using the article "The age of anxiety?".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Literary Review #2

Research Blog #2: Scouting the Territory

Research Blog #3: Three Academic Sources